Saturday, January 3, 2009

The "Hair Hero" had the biggest hair in all the land...

Wow so far this year has brought up a whole lot, today someone referred to me as the "Hair Hero" I thank them a whole lot and I appreciate the honorary title, however it only may be true in some ways. Today was seriously great, in so many crazy and weird ways.
WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN??
WARNING!!!!! This may turn into an emotional roller coaster ride!
Well late last night I was checking my "myspace" and I got a message from an old high school friend Kim, who I went to Villa with. This was a private high school I went to freshmen and sophmore year, after that I went to Pennsbury for all kinds of reasons, but for real I will never know exactly why?
We make poor choices in life all the time.
I begged my parents, I pleaded for Public School, I felt as though it was an unfair world if they didn't allow me to experience public school.
FOR WHAT?? That is the best question of my life. See when I look back at those Villa days, there was nothing wrong at all. I traded in everything my mom wanted me to get out of it, which was true friendships, a good education, and probably what could have been really the best days of my life with the best friends that I once had. I was selfish, I thought she was trying to keep me in a bubble, and trying to keep from experience, and I guess I was looking to experience everything all my grade school friends were experiencing, and they weren't shipped off on hour bus rides to school. I traded all that in for every day dress down day (and let me tell you that was the biggest pain ever), an earlier dismissal minus the hour long bus ride, for a junior year spent making friends with the wrong friends, school fights, ISS, and learning the true meaning of outsider. See, I had friends in Pennsbury, real friends that I knew before I even went there but none of them were in my classes, I may have passed them in the halls once a month, the school was huge, some people couldn't be my friend once I got there because they had girlfriends that wouldn't have it or they were in some big click that conflicted with their friendship with me. I didn't grow up in that school system with those Pennsbury kids and my Junior Year was lonely. Plus try having a first day of school where you totally realize that your so called boyfriend has another girlfriend who happens to be a senior at your new school, and everyone you meet knows it and then tells you about it. Trust me it was like the world caving in on me all at once. But this is what I begged for, and my mom said one day you will regret this, and that thought has hovered over me since, but today the day actually arrived. My mom was right and I finally can say I regret it, and if I could relive it knowing what I know now, I would change it...
Last night, Facebook, connected me with so many people, people who I loved and had a lot of fun with. I saw pictures of all the stuff I was a part of and then of all the stuff I missed out on. I snagged some pics I was tagged in just so I could share with you, because not only did they crack me up, seriously with the biggest smile ever, but also they made me tear a little, and they made me remember sooo much stuff I was so willing to forget and I have no idea why?
Do you know that I spilled orange wet n' wild nail polish on my friend Veronica's white furniture, and that her mom had a cow? Did you know that my friend Colleen's basement was the place to be and I was always there?
Did you know that, that 1 hour bus ride on the short bus, yes I had to ride a little bus, a little bus that made me cry the first day of school when I realized i had to get on it and the paperboy was sitting at the bus stop with me making fun of me, that same bus that I complained about that backed my reasons to leave, was probably the best two hours of my life every day. I spent that bus ride with some amazing friends, Gina and Erika. That same bus, got us more snow days then we probably deserved, broke down more times then I could count and made us late sooo much and we had the oddest bus drivers. The one bus driver even let us smoke 1 cigarette on the way into school. So seriously it was the strangest thing, but looking back it was something I would relive and something I havn't thought about in a long time!
Did you know one time our bus did make it to school on time and the school had a two hour delay and a few of us fell asleep in the gym on the stage behind the curtains?
Did you know I used the mens room in the gym sometimes, because there were no men in the school, so why not?
Did you now I would get in line for confession and never go into the confessional, but I wasn't the only one!
Did you know I was in talent shows, I was a cheerleader and we had to use the lacross teams uniforms, and that my mom saved our winter date dance, when school decided to cancel it, and I will never forget how nervous I was handing that letter into Sister Elaine, and how happy I was when she let us attend the Ghost Date Dance in place of ours?
Did you know I bought a Cherry 7up every day for the ride home and a hot pocket every day at lunch, and I always quarters in my locker because I was always forgetting my name tag, and needed to buy a temporary one for a quarter like every day?
Did you know when it was someones birthday everyone brought in a bow with ribbons attached to it and you had to wear them all day pinned to your uniform, it was fun especially when you recieved a lot!
Do you know what Kilt pin is? (A Villa girl does because without one your uniform skirt was not closed)
Did you know I once fell asleep in the library while I was writing and someone snapped a pic of it, and it ended up in the yearbook?
I GUESS MY POINT IS that I havn't thought about this stuff in a long time, and I wish I had thought about it all before I chose to leave it all behind, because I did leave it all behind and I didn't look back really until TODAY.
Well here are some pics of me and my friends from that forgotten left behind time...





These pics are hysterical and for their sake I will accept the title "Hair Hero", I know we all had big hair, but I always sem to push the envelope.
I love that I can tell these old friends that I have missed them, and I love that I can know who they are now, and share my life with them too, and maybe I can realize that this was the way it was meant to be.
I was meant to know them then and find them now!

6 comments:

Jeff said...

I feel like you're a totally different person and that I have no idea who the high school Dana was. lol But I love getting to see it and find out how you were back then. I only saw you once in a blue moon back then. And I was the same way with high school. I wanted to stay with everyone else and go to Conwell Egan, but my parents told me I had to go to Pennsbury. They didn't back down and I'm so so glad that I went to Pennsbury instead of CEC. It sucks when you realize parents were right. Whatever!

GESSYBELL said...

I think you also win the title of HIGHEST HAIR EVER! I know I had high hair but I don't think it was ever that high! LOL and even though we never went to the same high school but I still knew you when we were teenagers, I'm glad that we are still friends now!

Unknown said...

Great post buddy...Really school days are the best days of everyone's life.I still miss my school friends..Our WEbsite is an attempt to reunite such school friends and share those fond memories again.

Unknown said...

Great post buddy...Really schoool days are the best days of everyone's life.I still miss my school friends..Our WEbsite is an attempt to reunite such school friends and share those fond memories again.

http://www.myhometown-schools.co.uk/

Lena's Life said...

we all realize that are parents were right about most of the things we rebelled against. I have quite a few that I look at now and say wow, Mom was right...it must be hitting over 30 that we realize this. But I look at it this way, if we listened, then we wouldn't be where we are now, and the path that has lead us to our wonderful hubbies and our wonderful careers and our wonderful lives.

Beth said...

Wow!!! That is a LOT of hair! I love these old pics of you. Thanks for posting them!