Monday, March 2, 2009

Tattoos, Body Modification, Gang Bangers, and I dont want saute...

So Sunday was an eventful crazy day!
A bunch of us from Karma decided it would be fun to go to the Philadelphia Tattoo Convention, and so I picked Kymm and her friend Randy up at noon and we headed to Philly.


We met Steve and John in the lobby at the Sharaton on 17th and Race and there we all were in the midst of this craziest people watching event ever, so glad I brought my camera! I have to laugh Randy is like 7 feet tall and Steve is like 6 foot 5 and I am 5foot 2 and there was a minute when I was standing between them I never fealt so short in my life!!!! I fealt like I was standing between 2 skyscrapers. Not mention I kept poking steve in the but with my camera lens and he was like what the heck Dana, I said hey I am sorry if you weren't so tall we wouldn't have this problem!
So the hotel had to host the show because the convention center, where it normally is was hosting the Philadelphia flower show, so needless to say the big event was squished into two floors of the hotel, Body modification on the second floor - go ahead google it - i dare ya! and Tattoo's and piercing on the second floor!
Ok I can't wait for you to google the body modification, so if your not familliar I will try to share the best I can - Just an FYI, I couldn't take a pic because I couln't look for more then 5 seconds. Seriously I looked and then I had to step away, and pray that I didn't throw up - because we all know how easily I can do that!
Ok, so when I step up to the table, I see a girl laying on the table with her back facing me, she was laying on her side, and she was visibly shaking or trembling or maybe even crying. Some guy was holding both her hands consoling her as if she were on her death bed, and the "artist" so to say is working on her back. So he has a scalpal, and he is scooping out her skin placing it on the table and scooping some more - seriously chunks of skin on the table. I backed away at the moment, trying to convince myself it was a normal thing and not to loose my breakfast.
This is basically what the girl on the table was looking like - only this is no where near as gory as what I saw...

and this is probably what she will look like in 6 months....

So I am standing at this other table alone, and I start looking at the books where they have the designs they do and what it looks like after its all healed, I googled these for you, so google scarification or body modification and you will see what this room was filled with - needless to say I waited for my friends and we left to stay strictly on the tattoo floor. Oh did I forget to mention the penguin boy - for real a man built like a penguin, and the guy with the lizard toungue, you heard me right...
So we get upstairs and it was really interesting, there were people with tattoos from head to toe and people with none at all. I finally shook my nerves of the gore and was able to start snapping a few pics, like this tattoo artist from Japan, she didn't speak any English, but people were getting her to tattoo them, she was adorable I loved her hair and her make-up she was like a real life animee!



...and there was Kim Sigh from LA Ink, and she was painting pictures in the lobby, I am not sure why she wasn't tattooing but I guess that may have created a stir, but hey whatever...

But some strange things started to occur.
There was just some weirdness in the air and believe it or not it wasn't the 90 booths of people getting tattoos, It was more like the fact that the temp was like 102degrees and it was so packed with people so we left for some fresh air, a cigarette and a drink. (like the fresh air and cigarette combo, I know makes no sense!!!)

Anyway we go outside, take a breather, come back in grab a snack and a drink and all of a sudden the fire alarm is going off. No one budged, not one person moved the tattoo guns were all still buzzing, people were eating, buying things. So we didn't move either. About 10 minutes of the annoying alrms and lights and hotel security comes in and starts moving people out - not the people getting tattoos or doing tattoos, just all the onlookers. Not the hotel employees, just all of us standing by...So we pile onto the escalators and ride them down 2 flights - they never stopped moving, I know at the mall when the alarms would sound they would shut elevators and escalators down, so this was weird...



So we all pile outside, and then ten minutes later they tell us we can come back in, and we all start walking in and lining up to get on the escalators, we get to the top and there are SWAT teams all over the place. Ya, so now the presence of the SWAT is in the building. So now this was weird, and now I def want to flash my camera at all - I lost my nerve. But this was so awkward now, no longer fun, what the heck was going on?
So we are back to the booths looking around - some of us looking for their next tattoo inspiration, some of us contemplating what to get and twith who, and then some us just along for the ride....

So the SWAT team comes marching around the room, and we are all suppossed to just chill like its normal. I am so so nosey I could just feel myself getting curious. So we decide its probably best to leave at this point. So we leave the room, more SWAT hanging out outside the room, Kymm goes to the ladies room, John and Steve are meeting up with us, and me and Randy are waiting near the steps, Another group of SWAT marching passed us and the SWAT leader is directing them on what colors the are looking for, and they may have removed their colors by now so remember their faces...
Me and Randy were like "colors"? We are in freaking Philadelphia, not LA, but I guess the gang wars around here are just the same, I mean I know the City of brotherly love hasn't been so loving in the last few years especially the last 2 but this is crazy, so we are def. leaving.
All of us together finally and we are heading down the escalators. What do you thing is at the bottom? Yup SWAT, blocking a set of doors off the escalator and a few guys in handcuffs against the wall, not typically the gang kind, but whatever right?
So we are out anyway...
So on the way home, we are like talking about all this junk and all the craziness, and blah blah blah. So Kymm starts flipping through my I-pod, which has a lot of Billy's stuff on it and we were talking about that and how much of a mix of music, and she puts on "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, and we were singing at first and then talking aabut how much Kymm loves that song, and I this...
"I just wish I knew what he meant by Saute'?"
she looks at me and asks does he say saute in this song, and I told her he does and I don't know why, and it makes no sense to me.
So Kymm decides we should start the song over and check out where he says saute'. So we do and then Kymm starts cracking up laughing, and tells me what he really says and I had no idea, that he really says

But I won't hesitate no more,
no more, it cannot wait

as oppossed to my lyrics

But I won't have saute'
no more, it cannot wait

So there was my dumb blonde moment of the day!!!!

And ya, so later when we got home, we saw the news about the two rival gangs at the tattoo convention, and the under cover officers who had to call in the SWAT because of the fight that was brewing...
SO WIERD THE WHOLE DAY WAS SO WIERD...

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow Dana,never a dull moment. It wasnt enough you were seeing all that crazy stuff.... you just had to add the SWAT team for some extra fun. Thank God no one got hurt.

Jeff said...

I'M SO JEALOUS!!!! I can't believe I worked instead of going. lol. I would've been all up in there taking pictures for you. I love watching people do crazy shit to themselves. I watched some guy turn himself in to a lizard on the Discovery Channel.

Lena's Life said...

Is your hair red in the front? From the one pic it looks it and I like it!!!!

Daily dose of Dana said...

it is in the front now helena!!!!! thnks i like it too, now i need to visit the mac counter to get new make up though!!!! and Bonnie i am such a drama magnet its sickening - can't even enjoy a quiet day at the tattoo convention ya know! lol

Lil C said...

GA-GIRL! my work BF is this kid i creep on at work that i have a crush on...haha no names! but if you come to my bday (3/20 at finnegans wake all-u-can-drink well drinks and domestic from 9-11) hell be there! haha

annnnnd i totally steal my titles from other people =/

GESSYBELL said...

WOW - is right! but that kind of stuff only happens to you! LOL

kymmbop said...

"I finally shook my nerves of the gore and was able to start snapping a few pics, like this tattoo artist from Japan, "....dana.....who took the pics of the cute japanese girl?......mhmm....miss. im too shy to take her pic.... :P
lets get saute for lunch tomorrow!

Daily dose of Dana said...

kymm, , i did take one of them!!!!!